Monday, December 22, 2008

Chicadees Have Come!

I'm so pleased! I planted sunflowers and put out suet in hopes of drawing chicadees to our yard. I just about gave up and brought the suet in when the snow and cold hit and the chicadees arrived. We have no big trees in our subdivision so the chances were slim, but they've been coming steadily for about week. They've been eating the dried out sunflower seeds, plus regular seed and the suet.

They are so cute to watch. They move constantly, flitting from feeder to feeder to sunflowers, but aren't as easily frightened away as sparrows.

Since the cold, the sparrows have been coming in flocks of 30 to 40. They scare off easily at any movement in the windows, but just retire to the neighbor's tree until they deem it safe again.



This is a price we thought we might never see again! What a difference it makes! What is the price in your area?

4 comments:

Jess said...

that would be great to see some life outside the windows!! we see nothing but cold these days!
our gas is at 74.9 - not as good as you I'm afraid but it still only cost $33 to fill which is great!!

Juanita said...

I'm lovin' the looks of those gas prices! Send them our way. It makes a HUGE difference, that's for sure!

I should get some suet, probably at Peavey Mart? We get no birds in the winter, same deal, no trees. (Or in our yard, baby trees.)

See you in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous said...

I got our suet at Canadian Tire, but I'm sure there are many other places to get it. Superstore might have it among the pet food.

Lisa's Pic's said...

HI GUYS!! So great to run into you. I love your pics Ellie! Now that I know you're on here, I'll be sure to check more often. So good to 'see' you guys again, even if it is in pictures. :-)
love ya!
God bless!