Saturday, May 7, 2011

Butterfly House

This is a Blue Morpho Butterfly and it is huge - about 5 inches across when open.

When the wings are closed it is brown, but when it is open it is bright blue,

as in the picture below.

It was beautiful when flying because the blue showed,

and because it was so large.

Definately the one we enjoyed the most!


Here is the Blue Morpho with its wings open.

It was hard to photograph the blue side because usually as soon as it rested it closed its wings, but I managed to catch this one in a corner resting with open wings.

Gorgeous color!

I don't know the names of the other butterflies.

Pretty, but much smaller.

Most of the butterflies were a different variety
than I saw last summer at the Butterfly house, but this one was a repeat.
Its wings were longer and narrower than most others.


This butterfly was very busy, its wings going quickly and constantly,
so I set my camera to sports and took a bunch of pictures in a row,
and they came out not too badly considering how quickly the wings were going.

I loved its long tails!

5 comments:

Jess said...

Nice pics - I love the first one. Nice bokeh :)

Darrell

Mal and Ellie said...

What's a bokeh???
Mal gave me the idea for the angle on the first one. He doesn't take pictures but he has some good ideas for how to take them!

Jess said...

It is the out-of-focus part of the picture.

In photography, bokeh (Japanese pronunciation: [boke]) is the blur,[1][2] or the aesthetic quality of the blur,[3][4][5] in out-of-focus areas of an image, or "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light.

The composition of that picture is great!

Darrell

Mal and Ellie said...

Interesting. I thought maybe bokeh was a typo! You're becoming a veritable photography manual!
Since it passes your inspection, maybe I'll enter it into this year's horticultural show.

Lisa's Pic's said...

love the butterflies!! so beautiful and unique each one....just like us Ellie!! :-)