Monday, August 3, 2009

Hailstorm

We returned from vacation to find massive hail damage. The storm began at 2 a.m. The neighbors tell us the lightening was so continual it was like strobe lights. There was a big roaring sound and many went to the basement fearing a tornado. The hail was the size of golf balls. Mal was glad we missed the storm. I kind of feel like I missed out...!

We have damage on the north and west sides. One of our front windows will need to be replaced, several window screens are wrecked, and our eavestroughs and drain pipes have big pock marks. Most of the town is in the same situation. There is still stuff that looks like snow lying on the ground in places.

This is the house behind us.

The plants really got hit hard. This is one of Mal's tomato plants. The rhubarb was unrecognizable. The beans totally flattened.

One of my sunflowers. Many of the leaves were stripped right off the shrubs, the marigold blooms cut off. However, on the east side where it was protected our climatis were blooming beautifully, and they weren't when we left.
I will blog vacation pictures later.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I'm glad you were not there when the storm happened.... dad would have been outside trying to shield his plants and he would have holes in him!!

Juanita said...

That's so terrible about your plants:-( And your house. Yikes. I'm also glad you weren't at home, you were safe with us on our great campout weekend! I'm with you, Ellie, I would have felt like I was missing out too.

Jon and Magan said...

I can't believe the damage! Good thing you guys were safe and not at home.