Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm a Sausage-maker!

When we were up north I tasted some homemade sausage and we really liked it so I got the recipe and tried it. It's easy to make and tastes great. You'd never know it was homemade from hamburger.


Here's what it looks like after baking. The recipe is:

3 lbs. hamburger
2 Tbsp. Morton's Quik Cure
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tbsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke

Mix all together, refrigerate for 3 days. Each day, mix it again to blend flavours. On the fourth day, form into rolls and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 275 degrees.

I doubled the recipe to get 4 rolls. Freeze what you won't use fairly quickly. I bought the Morton's quik cure at Safeway for $6 for a big pack and the liquid smoke at Co-op for $3.39, also for an amount that will make a number for batches. After you bake it , it totally changes color and texture so it tastes like regular sausage.

Come over and try some!

2 comments:

Juanita said...

I would love to come over and try some. Does this afternoon work for you? If only...

Marlene Daku said...

We'll be right over.