Thursday, June 26, 2008

We're Expecting!

If my estimations are right, we should have baby swallows in our birdhouse next week. It's been fun watching the process - checking out the houses, choosing one, chasing away intruders, gathering nesting material and building. For the last two weeks they've been in and out, spelling each other off. Often every 10 to 15 minutes a swallow will fly down to the house, and with perfect timing, she will fly out of the house as he flies in. Awhile later they will trade. Sometimes she just stays inside and he guards. I'm amazed at how patiently he waits.

Last weekend we had a crisis when a sparrow began to harass them. We've helped chase away sparrows, cats, robins. They've nested in the only house facing west, which is the one facing away from the house. They'll let us get very close, but she does get a little nervous and pokes her head out, ready for flight.


I discovered a new bird in the marsh. I'd never seen or heard of it before. It's a Sora. It walks like a chicken, and it habitually flicks its stubby white tail. Its flicking tail is thought to be intended for prey - while the prey watches its tail, the bill catches it by surprise. It has green legs. I'm fortunate to have seen it because my bird book says that though it is common, it is seldom seen. "Human birders seldom see Soras." It is about the size of a robin. I haven't seen it since.

No comments: